Installing eComStation 1.0
eComStation is Serenity System Inc.'s first release of their version of
OS/2. Released in July 2001, the software runs on Intel personal
computers and servers. This version of the installation has been created
especially for use with Blonde Guy's Suntan Special.
My copy of the eComStation comes on three (3) CD-Roms. I refer to these
CD-Roms as eCS CD #1, eCS CD #2 and eCS CD #3.
- Boot the computer from eCS CD #1. The first screen to appear offers
three boot choices. Select option 1 -- eCS Installation/Maintenance
boot: default options.
- Wait for all activity to stop. There should be window titled
eComStation Installation Program. In the left frame of the window,
click the icon labeled Install eComStation. On the right frame of
the of the installer window press the Start Installation...
- On the Select Major Components window, select the option
Classic VGA. Suntan Special will install a better version of
SciTech Display Doctor Pro. Click Next> to continue
- Select the destination volume, then click Next>. If you
need to adjust the destination volume, run LVM.
- Leave the choice Format the volume using long format (recommended)
alone and click Next>.
- On the formatting Volume window press the Begin Format button.
- Wait for the installer to format the volume and copy all of the files.
When the credits screen comes up, press any key to continue.
- On the Installing eComStation window, press the Reboot button.
- On the Rebooting this Machine dialog window, press the
Reboot Now button and wait for the machine to start booting, then
remove eCS CD#1 from the drive.
- Wait for the machine to reboot, and all activity to cease. A Window
titled eComStation Installation - Phase 2 with five buttons
arranged vertically should appear. Press the buttons in order from top to
bottom. The first button is designated Verify video resolution.
If you picked Classic VGA earlier you will only see one choice for
screen resolution, so leave it alone. Click the Confirmations tab
and check the box for Copy, move, create shadow. Close the System
- The second button is labeled Install and configure local
printer. It brings up a Create a Printer window. Press
Next>. The next screen is Choose the Port, which you may
leave set to LPT1. The Choose a Printer comes up; use the
Have a disk option. Enter the directory of your printer driver,
and a window titled Choose from the Printers Found window appears.
Select from your printer from the available choices, and press
Next>. The Name the Printer window appears; take the
default name. When the Complete the Installation window appears,
press the Install button. The installation may fail. Suntan
Special will allow you to install a printer later.
- The third button is labeled Install multimedia device and other
system components. Pressing this button brings up the Selective
Install for Other System Components window. Press Execute, and
wait for the System Configuration window to appear. Take the
defaults for all of the items in this area, and press Next. On the
System Configuration (cont.) screen, take all of the defaults and press
Next. On the OS/2 Warp 4 System Setup and Installation
window, take all of the defaults and press Next. When the program
invites you to shutdown, press OK, but do not shut down. Allow it
to install. Suntan Special can upgrade drivers of some audio adapters
later. When the eComStation Installation window appears, press
- The fourth button is labelled Configure TCP/IP & install Netbios
networking; Press this button to bring up the Important notes
regarding configuring TCP/IP window. Press Execute to bring up
the TCP/IP Configuration Notebook window. On the first tab,
labelled Network, check the box labelled Enable Interface,
then enter your IP address, netmask and routing information. You may
ignore hosts and DNS, Suntan Special will configure those. Press
OK to save TCP/IP changes. Press Cancel to skip rebooting
after making those changes.
- The eComStation Installation - Phase 2 window reappears. Press
the Install Network Services button. Read the Important
Notes screen and press Execute. The system should beep and
complain that the OS/2 Warp version 4 CD-ROM was not found. Insert
eCS CD#2, and press Retry.
- When the OS/2 Warp Version 4 Setup and Installation windows
appears, deselect Netscape and TCP/IP; click Next. A No
Networking Services Selected dialog screen will appear; press OK
to dismiss it.
- A window titled Configuration will appear with a tree structure in
the right frame. Click the botton icon on the tree, and work up to the
top. The bottom icon is Network Adapters and Protocol Services.
Click that icon to bring up the Adapters and Protocol Services
frame. Press the Change Adapter... button to replace the eCS
install temporary driver definition with your network card driver. If
you have your driver on a floppy disk, insert the floppy disk and press
Other Adapter. Press OK three times to let the system
change the network driver. Finally, remove the IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER
TCP/IP protocol unless you know you need it.
- Click the next from the bottom icon on the left frame, which is
labelled Error Logging Services. Leave this one alone. Click on
the Books icon, and leave this alone. Click on the User ID and
Password icon. Enter USERID and PASSWORD in these fields. Due to a
bug, any information you enter here will be discarded, but some USERID and
PASSWORD should be entered.
- Click on the Network Adapters for File and Print Sharing icon.
If you have only one network card, there is nothing to do here. Click on
the File and Print Sharing Services icon, and enter the workstation
name, workstation description and domain name. If this is a domain, check
the Install LAN Server Administration checkbox. Now everything has
been configured on this screen, so click Install. Click OK
on the confirming screen. Click OK on the OS/2 Warp 4 Tuning
Assistant comfirmation screen. Click OK to allow installation to shutdown
- Allow the machine to shutdown. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot it. Wait
for the machine to reboot, then press 2 for hard disk boot; select the
correct boot volume. The OS/2 Installation program will run. The system
will restart automatically.
- Press 2 for hard disk boot. Wait for the eComStation
Installation window to appear. Enter your real userid and password
for Netbios networking, and press Execute.
- When the Thank you for purchasing eComStation window appears,
Enter your eCS username and product key. If you enter the key
incorrectly, there will not be an immediate confirmation. If you entered
the key correctly, a Please Wait... screen will appear.
- When the Install Complete window appears, press Exit.
- Remove eCS CD#2 and reboot the computer.
- When the computer restarts, a message will appear saying The TZ
string is not set correctly. Set the time zone correctly from the
settings page, and press OK. The System Clock will report a
sync error, and will not set the time to sync with a well known source.
Suntan Special will fix this problem. Close the System Clock and shutdown
- Make a backup of the installation volume.
The resulting installation consumes 320.8 Mb according to my backup
software, Back Again/2000.
Last Modified: 11 Nov 2001
Graphics by Colorful Language
Copyright 2001 by Blonde Guy