Preloaded Computer Software
Each Blonde Guy ArcaOS preloaded computer comes with a standard load of
software. This page lists what is in the current pre-load. This list is
updated over time to incorporate new essential OS/2 software as well as to
keep up to date versions of existing software. When you receive your
ArcaOS preloaded computer, you will have Blonde Guy's best installation of
the latest OS/2 software.
- Operating system: ArcaOS 5.0.6
- Suntan Special is
included with each computer. All applications that are pre-installed by
Blonde Guy can be kept up to date using Suntan Special.
- Apache OpenOffice is installed. OpenOffice has good compatibility with
Microsoft Office documents.
- The Tabbed PDF Viewer and Lucide are installed to provide viewing of
- Computer maintenance programs include Suntan Special, a trial version
of DFSee, Sysbench to measure the speed of the computer, PCI to scan the
system hardware and SystemInfo to view the entire computer configuration.
- RPM/YUM, a software configuration framework, is installed. Suntan Special
acts as a layer over RPM/YUM to replace the detailed knowledge of how to
install and configure software using YUM with pre-packaged application installations.
- The FAT32 file system is installed.
- Firefox and Seamonkey web browsers are installed. For the Mozilla
family browsers, the Flash plugin is installed, but off by default.
Qupzilla web browser, based on Qt and the Apple Web Kit is also installed.
- Thunderbird, SeaMonkey and PMMail are installed to provide a choice
of e-mail client program.
- Java (OpenJDK 6.00) is installed.
- VLC media player is installed to play back most video file types and
some commercial DVDs.
- DVDTools is installed to provide DVD and CD writing.
- PM123 music players are provided to support music needs. The
CD Player is correctly configured to play music CDs. Generic MP3 players
that connect via USB are supported.
- Cameraderie provides support for digital cameras.
- I use rsync, which is a mirroring program, to keep several copies of
my data drive. The rsync program copies only files that have changed, added
or removed when it updates a copy of the data drive.
- 4os2 provides an alternative to the OS/2 command prompt with more
- A number of fonts are added. Thanks to Alex Taylor for developing some
OS/2 specific fonts. Liberation and Deja Vu fonts are also added to support
- Also asscoedit, vncserver, PMWipe are installed.
- WebSee webcam software is installed. This gives limited webcam support
for webcam if one is installed, or for USB webcam that you may plug in.
- HelpDesk client software by OS/2 VOICE is installed to permit remote
administration tasks to be performed by Blonde Guy. Access to the computer
is controlled by the user, not by Blonde Guy.
I use Suntan Special to install the software on all Blonde Guy
Special software can be used to install all updates to the system and
its applications and to install additional applications. When newer
versions of software are released, Suntan Special can keep your Blonde Guy
computer up to date.
DFSee is a generic disk, partition and filesystem utility for maintenance
and data-recovery. It supports partition tables (FDISK, LVM), FAT, FAT32,
HPFS, NTFS, and partly JFS, EXT2/3 or REISER filesystems. DFSee is
commercial software which requires a license key for continued use.