Desktop computer (Humbopeep)
This new Lenovo ThinkCentre M720s computer is compatible with ArcaOS. It features an Pentium Gold G5400 processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive and a DVD-Writer.
This section documents what I did to get this computer to work under ArcaOS. It is intended to show what goes into this computer, and also as a guide to the user who wants to build it himself.
I ordered the computer from Lenovo, a Startek USB 2.0 PCIe card and a SYBA USB Stereo Sound Adapter from NewEgg and a PS/2 internal extension cable from e-Bay.
Optional PS/2 ports
The computer has the capability to run PS/2 ports. I have added an internal extension cable (part number 43N9149) to the Lenovo computer. This part is available as an extra cost option.
With Lenovo systems, it's best to do a thorough wipe of the hard disk before beginning. OS/2 and therefore ArcaOS, is very picky about drive geometry. A disk laid out by any other operating system will likely not work under OS/2.
When preparing a hard drive of over 500 GB, I needed to change the geometry, wipe the hard drive, and reboot. This can be done automatically by running Disk Utility from the ArcaOS installation DVD. Then I could lay out the whole hard drive as documented below.
Initially, I installed ArcaOS 5.0.3, the current release. I'm in the ArcaOS Testers group, so I have also installed a pre-release version of ArcaOS 5.0.4.
Disk driver is OS2AHCI. This seems to work.
The ethernet port on the computer is supported starting with version distributed as Multimac-20181126. The network interface has been set up to configure automatically.
Sound using UniAud does not work. The driver does not load. USB Audio works. The operating system should be loaded without any multimedia adapter support. After that Loading USB Audio 10.227 works well. The SYBA USB Stereo Sound Adapter is a USB Audio 1.0 device.
The test version of USB 3.0 driver loads but does not work.
DOS Full Screen works. DOS Window does not. But if you press Alt-Home in DOS Full Screen, you get a functional DOS Window.
The computer cannot reboot. Shutdown with power-off works, but any method of rebooting hangs the computer. Installing the following test versions of OS2LDR and ACPI 3.12 allow reboot to work as expected.
Using Suntan Special, I run Suntan Special sequences ArcaOS50, apps, games and cleanup. This is saved as the Factory image. This is normally what would be supplied on the computer.
- Operating system: ArcaOS 5.0.3.
- Suntan Special is included with each computer. All applications that are pre-installed by Blonde Guy can be kept up to date using Suntan Special.
- Apache OpenOffice is installed. OpenOffice has good compatibility with Microsoft Office documents.
- QPDFView and Lucide are installed.
- Computer maintenance programs include Suntan Special, a trial version of DFSee, Sysbench to measure the speed of the computer, PCI to scan the system hardware and SystemInfo to view the entire computer configuration.
- RPM/YUM, a software configuration framework, is installed. Suntan Special acts as a layer over RPM/YUM to replace the detailed knowledge of how to install and configure software using YUM with pre-packaged application installations.
- The FAT32 file system is installed.
- Firefox and Seamonkey web browsers are installed. Qupzilla web browser, based on Qt and the Apple Web Kit is also installed.
- Thunderbird and PMMail are installed to provide a choice of e-mail client program.
- Java (OpenJDK 6.00) is installed. The browser support (Iced Tea) is not installed.
- VLC media player is installed to play back most video file types and some commercial DVDs.
- DVDToys is installed to provide DVD and CD writing. The DVD drive can read and write DVD and CD media.
- PM123 music players are provided to support music needs. The CD Player is correctly configured to play music CDs. Generic MP3 players that connect via USB are supported.
- Cameraderie provides support for digital cameras.
- I use rsync, which is a mirroring program, to keep several copies of my data drive. The rsync program copies only files that have changed, added or removed when it updates a copy of the data drive.
- 4os2 provides an alternative to the OS/2 command prompt with more features.
- A number of fonts are added. Thanks to Alex Taylor for developing some OS/2 specific fonts. Liberation and Deja Vu fonts are also added to support some programs.
- Also asscoedit, VNC and PMWipe are installed.
- Arca Noae Package Manager is installed to manage RPM/YUM
I use Suntan Special to install the software on all Blonde Guy computers. Suntan Special software can be used to install all updates to the system and its applications and to install additional applications. When newer versions of software are released, Suntan Special can keep your Blonde Guy computer up to date.
Suntan Special was used to bring the system up to date on May 30, 2019.
To make the bootable recovery DVD, the operating system image is used. The recovery DVD is a work in progress; refer to the readme to backup and restore disk images.
The recovery DVD supplied is a bootable ArcaOS DVD with a backup of the hard drive as delivered. You can boot the machine from DVD, and perform maintenance functions. The factory backup is stored in the \image\Factory directory. The backups are simple zip files.
DFSee is a generic disk, partition and filesystem utility for maintenance and data-recovery. It supports partition tables (FDISK, LVM), FAT, FAT32, HPFS, NTFS, and partly JFS, EXT2/3 or REISER filesystems. DFSee is commercial software which requires a license key for continued use.
- Lenovo ThinkCentre M720s Desktop 10A90014US
- Boot Manager: Air-Boot
- Hostname: humbopeep
- status: build to order
- CPU: Intel(R) Pentium (TM) Gold G5400 CPU 3.7 GHz (2 cores)
- RAM: 4.0 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3
- Disk Drive: 500 GB 3.5 inch disk drive
- Optional Disk Drive: 2000 GB 3.5 inch disk drive
- LiteOn DS-8ACSH Internal DVD Drive
- Intel Gigabit Ethernet using MultiMac32-E1000B driver
- Intel audio with line out and line (not functional using UniAud driver)
- 8 USB 3.0 ports (4 front, 4 back; not functional using USB 3.0 driver)
- Bootable Recovery DVD
- VGA port, 2 DisplayPorts
- 1 serial ports
- optional PS/2 ports
- 2 PCIe-1, 1 PCIe-16 half height slots
Height: 10.8 inches
Width: 3.9 inches
Depth: 11.9 inches
Weight: 9.4 lbs
Power consumption is 19 Watts, measured with the computer is booted to the desktop and idle. In use, with all cores at 100% the computer can consume about 40 watts. This computer consumes 1 Watt if it's plugged in, but switched off.
Interior shot with tool-free drive bays.
Another Interior shot
This shows the Startek USB 2.0 PCIe card installed.
Yet another interior shot
This shows the PS/2 internal extension cable during installation.
The disk is partitioned to provide ArcaOS, spare partitions for future use and data drive.
This is the layout for the 500 GB HD. The Air-Boot boot manager is installed to select the volume to be started.
|Volume Name||Disk Format||Drive Letter||Volume Size||Disk Name|
|Installer||FAT16||X:||2,000 MB||500 GB SATA|
|ArcaOS-K||JFS||K:||10,001 MB||500 GB SATA|
|Data||JFS||D:||20,000 MB||500 GB SATA|
|ArcaOS-C||JFS||C:||10,001 MB||500 GB SATA|
|ArcaOS-J||JFS||J:||10,001 MB||500 GB SATA|
This table reports the SysBench 0.9.5 benchmarks for this computer. You can download SysBench 0.9.5 here: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/
|CPU floating point-marks||596|
To buy this computer, use the order button below. Be prepared to enter any special notes about your needs or customization for the computer. Blonde Guy will review your order and send you an invoice, payable using PayPal or any major credit card. If you prefer to pay by check, note that in the notes field of the order form, and I will e-mail you an invoice payable by check.
If you have questions, you may enter them in the notes portion of the order form.
The final price of the computer depends on tax, shipping and options. Shipping outside the USA is available, but it is costly.
Graphics by Colorful Language
Copyright 2019 by Blonde Guy