Lenovo Thinkpad T450s (Phenobopeep)
This IBM Thinkpad model is a portable computer, with powerful CPU and graphics. The VGA adapter is suited to an external monitor. The built-in screen has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, also known as FHD, and The IPS technology provides a display that is bright and clear.
This laptop computer is configured to boot ArcaOS. ArcaOS 5.0 has modifications specifically to support this computer. Nevertheless, Wifi and USB 3.0 are not yet supported.
Support for an external WiFi bridge is installed.
This section documents what I did to get this computer to work under ArcaOS. It is intended to show what goes into this computer, and also as a guide to the user who wants to build it himself.
The computer arrived on Dec. 17, 2018. The hardware maintenace manual explains how to upgrade the hard drive.
The installed BIOS is 1.33 and the EC is 1.04. The current BIOS is 1.35 and EC is 1.04. I decided not to update the BIOS to the current level with the BIOS update CD. The video displays on an external monitor without issues.
I made sure that BIOS is set to Config->USB->USB 3.0 Mode = Disabled; Otherwise ArcaOS 5.0.4 USB stick would not successfully boot. I set the Display is set to Analog VGA, so that display goes to external monitor if one is connected. It is normally important to disable Hyper-Threading, however, there is no way to do that on this BIOS.
The built-in video is supported by the Panorama video driver version 1.14 or later.
Hard drive preparation
The Lenovo Hardware Maintenance Manual says to turn off the internal battery before opening the case, then remove 8 screws and pry 8 tabs to open the entire back of the case. The drive was easily replaced.
I booted the ArcaOS USB stick, and in System Maintenance, I prepared the hard drive. Then I used AOSBOOT to install the ArcaOS installer on the hard drive as drive X: (FAT16, 2000 MB).
I installed one bootable volume, P:. The P: drive has a Custom installation that is on the minimal side.
Sound is working normally on the laptop. Audio works well, but external speakers or headphones are required. The following modification is needed to enable sound.
A fix included in ACPI 3.23.10 and later allows DOS Full-Screen to work. Alt-Home from a DOS Full-Screen then allows a DOS Window to work.
Using Suntan Special I run sequences ArcaOS50, apps, games and cleanup. This is saved as the Factory image. This is normally what would be supplied on the computer.
There is not yet support for the internal WiFi. Instead, support for three external WiFi devices, the VIX mini, the Asus RP-N12 Wireless N300 Range Extender and the TP-Link Nano Router is provided.
Instructions and details about external WiFi: http://www.blondeguy.com/TravelRouters.html
If am external monitor, then this is how it will work. The computer is set to the native screen of 1920 x 1080. If your monitor is the same, then nothing needs to be done to switch to and from an external monitor. If the computer monitor is different than 1920 x 1080, then the screen resolution can be adjusted to the optimal values. For example, I tested with a computer monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1200. When I switch to my external monitor, the computer changes to 1600 x 1200. I enter 1920 x 1200 into the screen applet and reboot for optimum resolution. When I switch to the built in display, the same action is needed.
The USB 2.0 ports support keyboards, mice, scanners, thumb drives, cameras, MP3 players, external hard drives, floppies and CD Writers.
The laptop can use any memory left over from 32-bit usage as a RAM drive. For 8 GB RAM models, this RAM drive has 4.7 GB, and is formatted HPFS.
This laptop boots to the desktop in under 60 seconds. That's important, because suspend/resume does not work. To make up for that, the laptop can do a clean power down when the lid is closed.
There is no ArcaOS support for the bluetooth, internal WiFi, USB 3.0 or fingerprint reader. Support for the internal WiFi, USB 3.0 is under development at Arca Noae.
- Operating system: ArcaOS 5.0.4
- Suntan Special is included with each computer. All applications that are pre-installed by Blonde Guy can be kept up to date using Suntan Special.
- Apache OpenOffice is installed. OpenOffice has good compatibility with Microsoft Office documents.
- QPDFView (Tabbed PDF Viewer) and Lucide are provide for PDF support.
- Computer maintenance programs include Suntan Special, a trial version of DFSee, Sysbench to measure the speed of the computer, PCI to scan the system hardware and SystemInfo to view the entire computer configuration.
- RPM/YUM, a software configuration framework, is installed. Suntan Special acts as a layer over RPM/YUM to replace the detailed knowledge of how to install and configure software using YUM with pre-packaged application installations.
- The FAT32 file system is installed.
- Firefox and Seamonkey web browsers are installed. Qupzilla web browser, based on Qt4 and the Apple Web Kit is also installed.
- Thunderbird, SeaMonkey and PMMail are installed to provide a choice of e-mail client program.
- Java (OpenJDK 6.00) is installed.
- VLC media player is installed to play back most video file types and some commercial DVDs.
- PM123 music players are provided to support music needs. The CD Player is correctly configured to play music CDs. Generic MP3 players that connect via USB are supported.
- Cameraderie provides support for USB connection to digital cameras.
- I use rsync, which is a mirroring program, to keep several copies of my data drive. The rsync program copies only files that have changed, added or removed when it updates a copy of the data drive.
- 4os2 provides an alternative to the OS/2 command prompt with more features.
- A number of fonts are added. Thanks to Alex Taylor for developing some OS/2 specific fonts. Liberation and Deja Vu fonts are also added to support some programs.
- Asscoedit, vncserver, PMWipe are also installed.
I use Suntan Special to install the software on all Blonde Guy computers. Suntan Special software can be used to install all updates to the system and its applications and to install additional applications. When newer versions of software are released, Suntan Special can keep your Blonde Guy computer up to date.
Recovery USB stick
The recovery USB stick supplied is a bootable ArcaOS USB stock with a backup of the hard drive as delivered. You can boot the machine from USB, and perform maintenance functions. The maintenance folder is available on the recovery USB stick. The factory backup is stored in the \Factory directory on a second volume. The backups are simple zip files. You can use 7z or unzip to extract some or all of the files in a backup.
DFSee is a generic disk, partition and filesystem utility for maintenance and data-recovery. It supports partition tables (FDISK, LVM), FAT, FAT32, HPFS, NTFS, and partly JFS, EXT2/3 or REISER filesystems. DFSee is commercial software which requires a license key for continued use.
- Model name: Lenovo Thinkpad T450s
- Model number: 20BW-S06T13
- CPU: Intel Core i5-5300U (2.30 GHz)
- RAM: 8192 MB
- Disk Drive: 500 GB
- Optional Disk Drive: Toshiba 2 TB hybrid drive
- 14.0 inch Color LCD screen with HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- Intel HD Graphics 5500
- Intel Pro/1000 PL 10/100/1000 network adapter using MultiMac32 E1000B driver
- 3 USB 2.0 ports using Arca Noae drivers
- 9 cell Lithium Ion battery
- AC Power adapter
- Recovery USB stick.
Height: 0.8 inch
Width: 13.0 inches
Depth: 8.9 inches
Weight: 3.48 lbs
Power consumption is 16 Watts, measured with the computer booted to the desktop. This computer consumes less than 1 Watt if it's plugged in, but switched off. When charging a depleted battery, it consumes up to 45 Watts.
Front and Right
Back with cover off
The disk is partitioned to provide two bootable partitions, one for use as a server and including SAMBA server, and the other is set up for as a tradtional NetBIOS networking using the IBM File and Print client. User data is stored on a separate volume.
This is the layout for a Seagate Hybrid 2 GB hard drive.
|Volume Name||Disk Format||Drive Letter||Volume Size||Disk Name|
|Installer||FAT16||X:||2,000 MB||Seagate 2TB SSHD|
|ArcaOS-P||JFS||P:||10,001 MB||Seagate 2TB SSHD|
|Data||JFS||D:||1,847,717 MB||Seagate 2TB SSHD|
ArcaOS 5.0.4 (July 25, 2019) is the version used for this installation. This is the output of the version command.
For the ArcaOS-P volume:
Installed Component Name Version Service Level Drive ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OS/2 Base Operating System 4.52 XR0C008 P: Base Device Drivers 4.52 XR0D005 P: Base Networking (MPTS) 6.01 WR08709 P: Internet Applications (TCP/IP) 4.32 UN02335 P:
This table reports the SysBench 0.9.5 benchmarks for this computer. You can download SysBench 0.9.5 here: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/
|CPU floating point-marks||825|
To buy this computer, fill out an order form and submit it to Blonde Guy. Blonde Guy will review your order and send you an invoice, payable using PayPal or any major credit card. If you prefer to pay by check, note that in the notes field of the order form, and I will e-mail you an invoice payable by check.
If you have questions, you may enter them in the notes portion of the order form.
The final price of the computer depends on tax, shipping and options.
An order for the computer is for the hardware as descibed on this page and for the software licenses.
|User's own copy||$0|
The ArcaOS License is available three ways. For a business, the comercial license is required. For most other uses, a Personal license is sufficient. If you already have an ArcaOS 5.0 license available for this machine, there is no charge for ArcaOS.
Graphics by Colorful Language
Copyright 2019 by Blonde Guy