Suntan Special version 0.68
Suntan Special Web edition
eComStation is Serenity System Inc.'s release of their version of OS/2. Released in April 2003, the software runs on Intel personal computers and servers. This version of the installation instructions has been created especially for use with Blonde Guy's Suntan Special.
My copy of the eComStation comes on three (3) CD-Roms. I refer to these CD-Roms as eCS CD #1, eCS CD #2 and eCS CD #3. Only CD #1 is used in these instructions.
- Boot the computer from eCS CD #1. The first screen to appear offers two boot choices. Select boot from eComStation CD-ROM. If there are no bootable partitons on the hard drive, this screen will not appear.
- On the second screen, choose boot with default values unless you know that you need to do otherwise.
- When the screen named Begin the Installation appears, read the screen and press Next.
- When the screen named License Agreement appears, check the box labelled Agree, and press Next.
- The screen named Select the Installation Type will appear. Select Advanced installation, and press Next.
- On the Select the Installation Volume screen, either select the installation volume from those provided, or press the New Volume button to bring up the Maintenance and Installation Volume program. The new volume must be bootable to be a valid selection. When you have selected the volume, press Next.
- On the Format Volume page, uncheck Check for errors while formatting and press Format. Unless you have a disk that is pretty old, then you should not need to check for errors. If you will install your applications on a separate drive from the operating system, go back and format that drive, too. Press Next when formatting is complete.
- When the Registration screen appears, you will need to provide the license key. It is easiest to read this from a file. Use Import Registration Data to read the data from a file on the hard drive, a floppy, or a USB drive.
- On the Locale and timezone settings page, choose your options. I only need to set the timezone. Due to a bug in the eCS installer, you will need to set the timezone again later in the installation process. Press Next when done.
- The system will detect hardware devices for a short time, then display the Hardware and peripherals configuration page. For a desktop machine, it is likely that you can just take the defaults. To use the IBM serial port driver instead of the default SIO2K serial port driver, navigate to the Standard Devices->Serial port controller and select the Standard driver (IBM). For a laptop or notebook computer, select the appropriate model. Examine all of the choices just to make sure, then press Next.
- On the Select components page, select Additional Features->Security enablement services. Press Next when you have made your choices.
- On the Network Configuration page, make your appropriate selection, depending on the type of connection you have with the internet. Under Network Types, select Network File System (NFS). If you are not sure, leave the defaults, and press Next.
- On the Network Adapters and Protocols page, I have two network adapters in my computer, and it often chooses the wrong one. If this is the case for you, then select the adapter and press Change adapter.... Select the right network adapter from the list. If you have a newer version of your network driver, select Other adapter..., and supply the floppy or CD-ROM with the driver. Otherwise, no changes are likely to be needed on this page. Press Next.
- On the TCP/IP settings page, I use DHCP, so I only need to fill in the hostname for my computer. It is a good idea to name your computer (one name with no spaces; case is ignored). Click Specify address manually, enter the hostname, then click Use dynamic address (DHCP). If you use a static IP, then fill in the fields for that. If you are not sure, then fill in the hostname and press Next.
- On the LAN settings page, fill out the fields. You should name the computer (no spaces; 15 char max; case is ignored). If you don't have a workgroup or domain, leave the field alone, and press Next.
- On the Accept Configuration page, press Next to start the installation process. The Copying files... page will appear for some time, then the computer will reboot.
- When the computer reboots, allow it to boot from the hard drive, which is the default setting. Note any errors during the boot process -- the exact message will be helpful in resolving any problems with the installation. If there are problems with the boot that you can correct, wait for the Copying files... screen to appear, then check the box Start Management Console. Wait for the management console to appear, then make any changes to fix the installation. When you are done, shutdown the computer and reboot to continue the installation.
- After copying more files, the computer will reboot again. Once again, allow it to boot from the hard drive. A dialog box will appear stating Multi-media Installation Completed. Dismiss this dialog box.
- The End of eComStation installation page will appear. The first tab of the page, Installation Complete announces the end of the installation. Press Next to go on.
- On the Screen tab, press the Screen button to bring up the Screen settings. Set the resolution colors and refresh that are appropriate for your display adapter and monitor, then close the Screen settings. Press Next to go to the next tab.
- On the Network User ID tab, fill out all the fields. Fill in the username and password. This will be your administrator account. Even if you do not currently use networking, enter these fields. Also check Allow your computer to be seen by others on the network and Allow sharing of resources in a peer network. Press Change to make the changes, then press Next to go on to the next page.
- On the DHCP tab, change the DHCP start wait time to 0 (zero) seconds. This means that the computer will not stop and wait for you to press enter if the network is not present. Unfortunately, eCS will change the value 0 seconds to 5 seconds. You will need to manually edit X:\mptn\bin\setup.cmd to set the correct value. Press Next to go on.
- On the Clock tab, press the Clock and select your timezone. Press Next to go on.
- On the User Interface tab, make the changes that give you a system you like. My preference is to open the Workplace Shell settings and check the box Confirm on Copy, move, create shadow. Under eSytler Preferences, I prefer to set titlebar to bitmap. I also set the shutdown to include power off and suspend on machines that support APM. When you have made your changes, press Next to go on.
- On the Printer tab, I do nothing. Suntan Special will configure the printers. If you prefer to set up with this page, that is fine, too. Press Exit when the printer changes are complete.
- Remove the eCS CD-ROM from the drive. Shutdown and reboot the computer, and note any errors during the boot process. When the computer has rebooted, check the screen properties to make sure they are suitable. On the Screen settings, do any centering that is needed (under the Advanced). When the screen settings are OK, reboot from the CD-ROM, or from an alternate boot partition.
- If booting from the eCS CD-ROM, choose the management console,
and open a commandline. (Tools->Command Window). Back up
your new installation with the following command.
zip -rS9 xdrive.zip X:\* -x WP?ROOT.?SFReplace X with the drive letter of your installation. Keep this zip file handy to restore your original installation.
After performing the above steps, I had 6312 files, taking up 359,485,839 bytes with 2,566,704 bytes of extended attributes. The zip file took 195,710,974 bytes.
Graphics by Colorful Language
Copyright 2019 by Blonde Guy